Black Lives Matter’s co-founder says she is stepping down from its foundation.
But not because of what she named right-wing attempts to defame her. Ms Patrisse Cullors said she would leave the foundation that led for nearly six years on Friday.
Last month’s 37-year old activist’s finances came under scrutiny after there was a report that she owned four houses.
Black Lives Matter has a become global rallying call since she and her co-founder created it as a hashtag in 2013.
Ms Cullors said she would stand down from the Black Lives Matter global network to centre on her forthcoming book. The book An Abolitionist’s Handbook is the second book that she is working on. Additionally, she has a TV development deal with Warner Bros that is focused on highlighting black stories.
She said that with intelligent, experienced and committed people supporting the organisation during this transition, BLMGNF is in good hands.
Furthermore, she says the foundation’s plan remains the same: to eradicate white supremacy and build life-affirming institutions.
Ms Cullors said her resignation had been planned for over a year to AP news agency. Adding that it was not related to baseless claims that she had misused donations to acquire her property portfolio.
Those were a right-wing attack that was to discredit her character, she said. Also, that she does not operate off of what the right thinks about her.
Recent financial statements
In February, the BLM foundation told AP that it had raised $90 million (£63 million) amid last year’s racial justice. It was through protests heeding the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The organisation said it ended 2020 with a surplus of over $60 million. It was after operating expenses, grants to black-led organisations and other costs.
The New York Post reported last month that Ms Cullors had bought four homes. One was a luxury home in Topanga Canyon, close to Malibu. While, she owned three other houses, including a custom farm in Georgia.
Facebook forbade its users from sharing the story, citing privacy concerns. Also, a black journalist said he was locked out of his Twitter account after he posted the article.
Amid the allegations of misusing the donation money, Ms Patrisse Cullors denies any convictions.