The latest figures mean the county has the second-highest death toll in Europe after Britain related to COVID.
Italy exceeds 100,000 deaths a year after it became the first country to impose a national lockdown.
The Italian health ministry said 318 people had passed away in the last 24 hours on Monday. Thus, making the total death tolls 100,103.
The latest figure means Italy is on second in the number of death tolls in Europe after Britain’s 124,566.
Nearly 14,000 new positive cases were also recorded on Monday. Simultaneously, the number of people in intensive care units (ICU) rose to 2700. The increased numbers in the ICU are 95 more than the day earlier.
Last week, Italy’s total virus cases surpassed three million. Moreover, with a new rose powered by the highly contagious variant that was first classified at the end of 2020. However, the new variant was first discovered in Britain.
More than a year has glided by since the first Italian Covid demise. It was on the 21st of February in 2020 when the 78-year old retired roofer Antonio Trevisan died.
In the northern region of Lombardy, the hospitals were soon flooded, and morgues could not keep up. Besides, the convoys of army truck moved away from the dead.
Preist handled deaths on an industrial scale in little towns like Seriate, near Bergamo. With coffins storing in a local church after graveyards were not able to bury all the dead.
Recent conditions in Italy
Now the condition in Italy is once again decaying as new cases arise. Moreover, there is an increased spread of the new highly contagious variant.
On Monday, PM Mario Draghi said that the country would ramp up its vaccination campaign in the coming days. The campaign will help the country pull out of the crisis.
Like other countries in the EU, Italy’s vaccination has got off a slow start. The reason was a delay in delivery from the drug manufacturer.
As of Monday morning, the carrying out of 5.42 million shots was done by the related authorities. With 1.65 million of Italy’s 60-million-strong people having received the two confirmed doses.
The government is thinking of shifting tactics to give priority to first doses rather than stockpile second doses.